General Progress Update
Research: Problems Resolved, and New Problems Uncovered
- Music: During the runs I completed this week, I identified several music tracks which have a beats per minute rate that effectively matches the pace at which I would like to run when completing my 5K run. I will conduct additional research to identify other tracks which have matching beats per minute, in order to build a full playlist of songs that I can use in future training runs and my final run.
- Shoes: I have not ordered new shoes yet. My current shoes held up well during the last two runs but I still feel that I will benefit from having more purpose-built running shoes that fit me better. The shoes I have now are half a size too big, which hasn't affected me yet, but might when my runs become longer.
- Nutrition: I have researched nutrition and hydration recommendations for individuals planning distance runs. I will have to alter my eating habits slightly during this project, reducing my fiber load so I am not gassy while running but increasing my complex carbohydrates to provide more energy. I have developed a shopping list that I will use at the grocery store this weekend.
- Sunglasses: Problem resolved. I purchased some sunglasses and have been using them on my training runs. They are effective.
- Sunscreen: Problem resolved. I have acquired sunscreen and have been using them on my training runs. It is effective.
- New problem: Storage. Where do I keep my phone in order to listen to music while I am running? I have tried keeping them in the side pocket of my shorts, and kept in place using an armband strap. Neither solution is satisfactory to me and provided discomfort and distractions during my training runs. I will being looking for an alternative method to keep my phone in place when running.
- Registration: I have not actually registered for the 5K that I plan to run yet.
I used the Google Maps directions for walking to determine the distance of my runs. Last Tuesday's run, which was intended to be 1.2 miles, actually turned out to be 2.5 miles.